Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pappie Doodle Bread

My mom used to make this for breakfast all the time. it has a very mild cinnamon taste and is super quick to make. But I also remember Andrew making an entire pan for himself after swim practice and eating it in one sitting. Mom- am I right or was it Matt who used to whip it up all the time?

Here's the recipe which I have on a very old piece of "Keep Peg Clark on the School Board" paper in my recipe file.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Mix wets. Mix drys. Mix together.
Bake at 350 in a greased pie tin for 20 minutes


The original recipe is from Helen Bender's "Variations On The Cooking Theme". My mom, and probably all the Wilkes kids, took piano lessons from Mrs. Bender.


Bender, Helen Chrystal, and George Logue. Variations on the Cooking Theme. Honolulu: Pacific Publishing, 1957.

No comments:

Post a Comment